What will I receive?
- A freshly prepared (not frozen), nutritious, warm, noon-time meal Monday through Friday.
- Meals are delivered between 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. by our friendly Meals on Wheels volunteers.
- The meals we deliver provide one-third of your daily nutritional needs.
- A typical hot meal would include a meat entrée, starch, vegetable, whole grain bread, fruit or dessert, and milk if requested.
- A typical deli meal would likely include a tuna or chicken salad scoop, atop a bed of lettuce, crackers, fruit or dessert, and milk if requested.
- Meals are placed in disposable containers that can be heated in a microwave.
What about special diets?
- Meals on Wheels of Summerville provides a no additional salt added, rotating 4-week menu.
- Substitutions or special diets cannot be accommodated at this time.
Who is eligible?
- Our service is available to those who are:
- Primarily homebound.
- Living alone.
- Are unable or have difficulty shopping for food and cooking for themselves.
- Eligibility is NOT based on income OR age.
- You may still qualify for our program if:
- You are under the age of 65
- You need our services temporarily while recovering from a hospital stay or illness.
How does it work?
- An application is taken over the phone to determine if the basic qualifications have been met and if the applicant is in our serving area.
- Required information to have available when calling to start an application:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Full address
- Doctor's name/phone number/fax number if possible
- 2 emergency contact names/phone numbers
- The specified medical professional will be asked to validate the need for service and approve the basic meal plan provided.
- Once medical approval has been returned to the office, an in-home interview will be scheduled.
- Each applicant will receive a phone call once the final determination of service has been established.
What is the cost?
- There is NO COST for the meals, however, financial support via donations is always greatly appreciated.
How soon will it start?
- New client service will normally start the following Monday after our home visit.
- Occasionally there may be a waiting list in certain areas, and we will contact you when service can begin.
How long may I receive meal delivery?
- Once you are enrolled as a client you may continue receiving meals as long as you remain eligible.
When are meals delivered?
- The volunteer will normally arrive between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. We cannot guarantee delivery times and the time of arrival may vary from day to day between 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- If the meal has not arrived by 1:00 p.m. – please contact the office at (843) 873-8224 to advise us.
What if I will not be home at delivery time?
- Eligibility requires that you are home to receive the meals unless there is a Doctor’s or similar appointment.
- If we have not been notified of unavailability and the volunteer attempts to deliver, the meal will NOT be left and the emergency contact will be notified in case attention to your well-being or safety is needed.
What if I need to take medication with food?
- To avoid medical emergencies, please do not wait until your meal arrives if you need to take medication on a timely basis. Eat a light snack and take your medication on schedule. Consult your physician about what snacks are appropriate for you.
Do you keep my information confidential?
- The volunteers and employees of Meals on Wheels of Summerville must abide by strict standards of confidentiality. They are expected to behave in ethical, diplomatic and discreet ways regarding the sharing of information within Meals on Wheels of Summerville. All information about you and your family is considered confidential. If you have any questions or concerns about confidentiality in a particular situation, it is important to discuss it with the Executive Director, Crystal Bovell, of Meals on Wheels of Summerville.
How do I cancel meal delivery?
- Please call us at (843) 873-8224 between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday - Friday to cancel delivery for a day or other time period.
- Cancellations can be received in advance for future dates/appointments. Please feel free to call anytime.
What days don't you deliver?
- Meal service is not provided on Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the Friday following Thanksgiving Christmas Day, day after Christmas, or New Years’ Day.
- In addition, in cases of severe weather such as hurricane watches, possible flood conditions, tornado or ice storms, meal delivery may be canceled to protect the safety of our volunteers. In the event of cancellation - you will receive a telephone call from an automated service advising you.
How is Meals on Wheels of Summerville, Inc. funded?
- Meals on Wheels of Summerville is a private 501©3, tax-exempt non-profit organization.
- We depend solely upon financial support from generous local foundations, individuals, churches, businesses as well as the contributions from our clients to support our mission. We are not affiliated with any government program and receive NO Federal, State or local government funding.
- If you would like to make a contribution please click on our DONATE button.