It takes a village to feed the hungry. No that’s not the original quote but it sure seems appropriate when you visit us around 11 am and see the volume of people lined up to deliver meals. When you join our amazing team you will be welcomed by the smiling faces of over 200 current Volunteers who show up each week to make it all happen! It seems like we should have an announcer in the background “And THEY’RE OFF!”
Truth be told, there’s no better day than one where you deliver to the homebound. You see the smile and are certain of the difference you make just by bringing a meal.
What does it take to be a volunteer? Besides the obvious compassion and love of community – you only need to be present to lend a hand. Our volunteers carry many jobs in helping to end hunger in Summerville. We’re sure we can find one to fit your time and talent which you’ll enjoy!
Ways you can help
- Driver - deliver meals Monday through Friday
Pick up meals 11:15 - 11:30 a.m.
Deliver meals to recipients on a pre-determined route
Each route has approximately 10-15 recipients
Delivery takes approximately 1 hour
- Kitchen - Prepare the meals for delivery by dishing up, packing and sorting
Arrive between 10:15 and 10:30 a.m.
Package pre-cooked meals for delivery
Finish at 11:15 a.m.
- Sub - Be a Substitute Volunteer - Driver or Kitchen Helper
Fill in as a substitute driver or help in the kitchen when there is a need and you are available.
- Help collect food from Local Food Banks, Farmers Markets etc.
- Lowcountry Food Bank: Tuesday mornings 8:30-9:30 a.m.
- Event preparation and planning including TICKET SALES
As a Company, Civic Group, or Church Ministry you can Adopt-a-Route.